Head of Information Technology for fully-integrated, national fleet solutions & services provider
Matthew Darnell appointed to develop and integrate the IT and telephony platform and strategy, in line with business growth objectives
NRG Fleet Services Ltd is the market leader in the provision of specialist commercial vehicles and fleet services solutions in the UK. The Group has a fleet of over 1,600 vehicles which are supported by its network of fourteen commercial workshops.
The group had total revenues of £95m and operated 14 workshops around the UK with, circa 300 employees.
The business is profitable and is continuing to grow both in terms of revenues and profitability, with opportunities in the hire of electric HGVs offering an exciting prospect for further growth.
After an internal sideways move in the business, MD Steve Richardson and FD Martin Ashcroft (who had previously worked with Rowan to appoint a Financial Controller) decided that a Head of Information Technology was required to:
- Integrate and develop the IT and telephony systems from a business perspective, as opposed to merely making technological improvements.
- Translate business requirements into functional and technical designs; ensuring availability, capacity and resiliency requirements are met.
- Design and deliver an IT and telephony strategy suitable for the business’ ambitious growth plans, which possibly included PE investment.
Rowan Executive Search was retained by Online4Baby to search, assess and appoint a suitable CFO.
A brief had already been written a for this appointment, but it transpired that it was too heavily focused on the technical elements of the position. The IT/telephony was too far removed from the business, so NRG needed a candidate who understood the dynamic between the two, and how IT/telephony could be optimised to drive business growth.
Rowan consulted with MD Steve Richardson and Group HR Manager Helen Allera, helping them to write a new brief, which was much more business-focused and less technical.
As experts in Executive Search, Rowan:
- Identified candidates with significant, relevant experience of working in a senior, business-focused position, with hands-on IT and telephony experience.
- Evaluated candidates’ exposure to the information services sector, and assessed them for cultural fit to the multi-site business.
- Delivered a shortlist of 4 qualified, senior candidates, who had both the requisite business and IT/telephony experience.
From the shortlist, Matthew Darnell was appointed. Matthew was a highly relevant and qualified candidate, having worked as Head of IT for IT and services business Cedegim. Here, Matthew oversaw the effective and efficient operation the group’s IT platform, whilst ensuring departmental alignment to the group’s business operations.
Despite joining during the lockdown period, Matthew quickly acclimatised to NRG, its systems and its people.
Since Matthew joined NRG:
- He has implemented a joined-up IT and telephony strategy, ensuring alignment with business objectives.
- The business has achieved Private Equity investment, enabling it to accelerate its growth journey.
- MD Steve Richardson has recommended Rowan to another business for Search and Assessment work.
- Matthew has been promoted to Group IT Director.
- NRG Group company, DTM, has acquired Tyrewatch