Financial Controller appointed by Rowan, promoted to CFO and led MPM to PE sale for 4.4x return (from ECI Mar 16 to 3i Nov 2020) David Millward appointed as FC after first stage ECI Private Equity investment
MPM is a fast-growing branded products business in the pet food space. With turnover increasing year on year by 25%, the business took PE investment from ECI in early 2016 in order to:
- Capitalise on growth opportunities in the UK.
- Increase international sales presence.
- Solidify internal processes to support growth.
Rowan was initially retained by MPM COO, James Bracewell, to appoint a Financial Controller to support the business through its PE journey.
Rowan worked closely with James, in order to understand the key challenges and opportunities that MPM faced post-investment:
- Significant growth opportunity in the USA.
- Foreign exchange strategy required.
- New SAGE system implementation also required.
- Change management environment.
As experts in Executive Search, Rowan:
- Understood the core attributes & skillset needed – ability to support a dynamic, change management culture; rather than an ‘good-on-paper’, sector-experienced FC.
- Leveraged our network of Finance professionals with PE experience.
- Assessed candidate ability to manage teams through changes of ownership.
David Millward was appointed as Financial Controller. He was a strong candidate from the outset of our Search & Assessment process, with experience of:
- Supporting the PE transaction of a national, leading medical provider through a period of unstable change.
- Leading finance functions through change of ownership.
- Implementing strong systems – operationally & financially.
Since joining, David has:
Built the company’s full financial model, which has been the cornerstone of their further PE development.
- Given the business & investors the confidence to expand internationally.
- Achieved promotion to CFO within 4 years at MPM.
- Supported MPM’s sale to 3i group (Nov 2020) at 4.4x return for eci.